Notes written by St Katharine's Convent in 1954
Parmoor and the D'Oyley family
Parmoor and the Cripps family
The 1954 notes on Parmoor
The 1946 sale
[ Following extensive research into the D'Oyley family my mother identified a number of mistakes in the notes as written in 1954 - the version here has been corrected ]
Parmoor was referred to as Pyremere in the XIV century, Permer in the XV century, Parmer and Parmor in the XVIII century, and was sometimes written Parmour.
Parmoor appears in Hambleden records as a manor in the latter half of the XV century, but was not regularly called a manor until 50 years afterwards.
Parmoor, a manor in the Chiltern Hills above the lovely valley of Hambleden, was in the possession of the Knights Templar (says Langley) originally, and probably was surrounded by wild open moorland country, far from anywhere in those days.
Subsequently, the place was owned by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, to whom the advowson certainly belonged, in the reign of Henry VI. It possessed a messuage (or parcel of land).
The Manor came to Henry Edmund de Malyns, and Reginald de Malyns; in 1384 Sir Reginald de Malyns passed it to Sir Robert Whitingham, (a supporter of the Lancastrian cause, and therefore the property was confiscated).
In 1462 it was granted by Edward IV to Sir Thomas Montgomery, and after his death to Sir Ralph Verney in 1472. He and his wife Anne quit changed it to Richard Janyns in 1516.
After the dissolution of the Monasteries (in Henry VIII's time) Parmoor was acquired by the Doyles of Yewden and Greenlands; (Oxfordshire fami1y:- Doli in 1071, and sometimes spelt D'Oyle and Doly).
Again Parmoor changed hands, and in 1603 a Richard Saunders conveyed it to Timothy D'Oyley who had married Mary Saunders) who in 1637 leased the manor to his son Robert Doyle. Anne Doyle was buried in Hamb1eden in 1639. John Saunders of Lower Parmoor (obviously the original Little Parmoor, an old flint building behind the William and Mary Little Parmoor) died in 1634, and this is proved by a brass plate in Hambleden Church on the north side of the Tower Arch. He left £5 to the Parish.
The last Doyle, (John) mentioned in the Hambleden records, died in 1800 (incorrectly described on his monument as 1806). The very ancient manor of Parmoor passed to George Romsey and Ambrose Stephenson, who sold it to Mr. Henry Cripps , Q.C.
The William and Mary period (red brick) house along the road, viz, Little Parmoor, was very obviously built to be a Dower House; and contained four panelled-rooms, and a powder closet, and a fine four flight staircase, with a vaulted brick cellar.
The house was built on the plot of garden belonging to the old flint farmhouse adjoining: The Tithe Map at the offices of the Tithe Redemption Commission in London describes the land as the 'garden'. [ You can find the Tithe Map under "Hambleden" on the menu bar above ]
The Rev. R.W. Deane of Skirmett Manor (distantly related to the Colstrope family of Deane ) bought Little Parmoor.
On February 8th, 1892, the Rev. Richard Wallace Deane sold Little Parmoor to Henry Cripps Q.C. (his son was created Lord Parmoor).
Little Parmoor was occasionally used as a "Bothy" for gardeners, and it fell into bad repair. Miss Brazil (and her brother) lived in the attics (she is 102 years old, and now in 1954 is living at the W.V.S. Home, Bourne End). (The word "Bothy" is of Scots origin - the farm bailiff at Parmoor was a Scotsman, Mr Tom Jess)
During the 1939-45 War, Zog of Albania lived at Parmoor house, with his wife Geraldine, who was popular in the district. His retainers lived in Little Parmoor.
The Wiltshires rented Little Parmoor after the War and used the adjoining shed for cows, which grazed opposite in the Great Meadow, (now ploughed).
In 1949 Little Parmoor was bought from the Parmoor Estate. Old Panels of the upstairs room were uncovered and restored. A very fine early eighteenth century mantelpiece was repainted.
Kenricks, the beautiful old Rectory of Hambleden, was built by the then Rector - Doctor Kenrick, in 1724 (by Peter Norton, bui1der of Wyatt and. Norton, West Street, Marlow). Possibly Little Parmoor was erected by the same firm, as the staircase and mantle carvings are very fine. (The attics should have leaded-windows).
In the records of Hambleden it is stated that the Parish consists of 6958 acres. Hambleden Lock is very ancient, there being one in 1376 used by London Bargemen, who complained of the fees of the older one.
The rent of Hambleden Mill in 1086 was £1. The fishing was famous - thousands of eels were caught. In 1338 the fishing was worth £1 yearly. The Mill was originally granted to Keynsham Abbey, Somerset.